Planning Your Virtual NYE Party
Written by guest blogger – Mrinalini Sundar
Two lockdowns and several quarantines later, here we are – at the end of 2020. With many New Year’s events being cancelled due to the pandemic, the best and the safest way to celebrate and welcome 2021 is by having a virtual NYE party! Whether you plan to dress up, devour some delectable desserts, or sip on some boozy cocktail – our restaurants and boutiques in Downtown Burlington have you covered with curb-side pickup and delivery options.
So, send out the zoom invites and get ready to have some digital fun this New Year’s Eve with our list of ideas.
- Pick a theme & dress the part! Dress up and make everyone feel like they are going to a real party while supporting local as our retailers are still offering curbside pick-up! Make the party even better by choosing a theme. From the good old Black and White theme, to retro, disco, or black tie – dress to impresses with a gorgeous gown from Mirella’ Ladies Boutique. For something more casual yet sophisticated, check out the upscale fashion pieces at luxury consignment boutiques like Posh Couture or Wish Boutique. If you decide to have a rather laid back and comfy PJ party- then we recommend Lingerie D’amour. We adore their comfy lounge-wear, and their super soft cozy cardigans. If whimsical is your style, then head to Bocana Boutique for their cozy fit cotton sets that come in varied patterns. If you are looking for cutesy earrings, then The Handmade House is your spot. We are in love with their Wonder Woman earrings which will be perfect for virtual superhero-themed party!
- Pick an activity. Spice up your Zoom conversation with multiplayer online games. The all-time favourite game UNO is now available online. Even thought it might not be as fun as what it is IRL, but it is fun nonetheless. You have other card games too, the most popular among them being Cards Against Humanity. You could also try Psych, a game that encourages you to lie and make up your own plot. Our pick however, is Houseparty, an app that comes with in-app games (Head’s Up) and chatting facilities. You can also play your usual board games online – such as Monopoly, Scrabble, and chess. Check out Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, a game that gives you and your friends an adrenaline rush during a virtual party.
- Curate a playlist that matches your theme!
- Order takeout. Well this one is the most important aspect of any party! Select restaurants in downtown Burlington have New Years Eve menus including Pepperwoods Bistro & Downtown Bistro’s delicious 3-course menus, or Martini House surf & turf dinner box for two. You can also click here for our complete list of takeout options – stay tuned to this page as we update it daily!
- Make yourself a Signature Cocktail – It’s the perfect time to sip something new! Bartender Alex Pedherney from Lochside Lounge has put together a delicious winter cocktail for you to make at home. Click here to check it out!
- Wine & Cheese Virtual Tasting: Create a fun and engaging experience as part of your virtual indoor party – with a wine and cheese pairing session. Explore new wines with your clan and pair it with a beautifully designed (and most certainly instagrammable) charcuterie board from The Block Co. If you already own a board, drop it off for them to create magic with cheese & cured meats or you can never go wrong with one of their already designed masterpieces. Not into wine? You could also pair one of their boards with a local craft beer tasting! Check out Burlington’s own Nickel Brook Brewing Co. for their tasting kits!
- Get some yummy desserts: End 2020 on a sweet note with tasty desserts from some of the best spots in Downtown Burlington. Fall in love with the truffles and baked good at Lola Choco Bar & Sweet House, cut a cake that’s from MollyCake at midnight, and vegan, gluten-free cupcakes from Kelly’s Bake Shoppe can make any virtual party that much better.
With so many options from what to wear, to what to do, and where to eat- we are sure Downtown Burlington has just made your virtual indoor New Years Eve super fun, engaging, and a one that you’ll remember for a long time.