Meet Stephen & Debbie from Tyrsa Ukrainian Dance School
In the spirit of Valentine’s Day this month, we want to celebrate and recognize couples who work together in business everyday.
Meet Stephen & Debbie Pichocki from Tyrsa Ukrainian Dancing & Bandura School!
- How did you both meet?
Connections Night Club (Hamilton Sheraton Hotel) – first dance magic.
- Why did you start working/open your business together?
Debbie has a background in classical ballet; when the opportunity arose to take over the school we embraced it as an opportunity to grow together in.
- Tell us a little bit about yourselves and your business. (i.e. What is your unique offering?)
While there are several schools offering instruction in Ukrainian Dancing in the region, ours is the lone school offering instruction in “Bandura” a harp shaped instrument with 60 strings (native to Ukraine).
- When did you open your business in Downtown Burlington?
Our business opened in 1977, but we took over in 2007, and added instruction in Bandura 8 years ago.
- What made you choose Downtown Burlington?
Location, Location, Location! We were fortunate to secure favourable long term accommodations, however our membership comes from many different communities and everyone is thrilled with the local business / dining options as their children practice.
- What other downtown businesses do you frequent and do business with?
Kinetic Physiotherapy, Spa in the Village, Paradiso, Wendel Clark’s, The Works, Rayhoon Persian Eatery, …
- If you had a piece of advice for other couples starting a business together, to help them succeed, what would it be?
Leverage each other’s strengths, be honest & humble, augment your collective weaknesses with outside help. Also, spend time to reflect on meaningful successes/shortcomings, knowledge is a function of experience and reflection – failure to reflect guarantees you won’t learn.
- Do you have any Valentine’s Day traditions?
Something different each year! This year we are going to a dinner / dance gala (with a live band) and then a couples afternoon on Sunday at Hamilton’s Healing Salt Cave.