Meet the Owner at Lisa Kooistra Designs
Get to know the people behind your favourite places & spaces in downtown Burlington! We’ll be introducing you to new owners & businesses throughout the year!
This week, meet Lisa Kooistra, Owner & Principal Designer, Lisa Kooistra Designs
1. Why did you start/open your business?
Interior design has always been a passion and large part of my life. I went to school and got my degree in design and continued with 12 years of experience working for some of the top design firms (gaining experience) opening my own design firm was always a goal of mine and it’s exciting to finally see the growth of the business.
2. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your business.
Lisa Kooistra founded LKDesigns Inc. in 2017, Lisa’s goal has always been to pursue a career through which she could both inspire and be inspired. She has never viewed Interior Design as a job; it’s a passion and a lifestyle, a means of expressing her ideas and sharing her creativity with those around her. With over twelve years’ experience in the industry and a degree in interior design. Lisa has developed both experience in the design & renovation world by working with some of the top industry designers. Lisa has a wide knowledge in design, renovation, decor, and TV setdesign. The LKD team is based in Downtown Burlington and designs in the Greater Toronto Area & offers e-design services globally.
- Boutique design firm with a renovation business and trusting trades on hand
- Full-service interior design
- Full-service decorating
3. What made you choose Downtown Burlington to open your business?
I have lived in Burlington my whole life – other than leaving to live in Toronto after university for a couple years to work for a design firm. Burlington is home and downtown is where all the action is, just like larger cities! We moved to the downtown core years ago and loved the idea of being part of a community and the accessibility on getting to the office every day. I love a downtown environment and wanted to be able to showcase our work and gain some great business relationships.
4. What other downtown businesses do you frequent and do business with?
- TD Canada
- Joelles, waves, pop up shop, consignment
- Almost all the restaurants
5. What special events/promotions do you currently have or coming up in 2022 that you would like the BDBA to promote and/or publish on our website and social media outlets?
Ohh you’ll have to wait and see, but we promise it’s exciting!
6. If you had a piece of advice for our new businesses, to help them succeed, what would it be?
Make sure to do what you love and are passionate about!
7. What’s been your favourite space to design?
A cottage air bnb and our clients new build in Oakville, on
8. If you could redesign a space for a famous person (current, historical, etc.) who would it be and why?
Ryan Gosling – classic Burlington boy & eye candy!
Marilyn Monroe – so intrigued by her life and story and her style was always bold and outside of the lines.
Follow them on social!