Get to know the people behind your favourite places & spaces in downtown Burlington! We’ll be introducing you to a new owner & business each and every month.
This week, meet Glenn, Nancy & Monica, owners of Wellings Planning Consultants Inc.
- Why did you start/open this business?
Glenn: “Nancy and I had the same career path; we both have come from planning and development at the municipal level. Nancy was with the Region of Halton, and I was at the Region as well as Town of Halton Hills. It was a natural progression for us to come together at Wellings Planning Consultants.”
- Tell us a little bit about yourself and your business. (i.e. What is your unique offering?)
Nancy: “We’re the best!”
Glenn: [laughs] “Yes we are! We’re a boutique, hands on planning consultancy with an extensive knowledge of Burlington and Halton Region, and the intricacies of what’s required from a land planning and development perspective”.
- When did you open your business in Downtown Burlington?
Monday, March 7th 2016
- What made you choose Downtown Burlington?
Glenn: “It is close to home. We had been working out of my house since 2005, and we reached a point where we needed more space, and an office that was separate from where I was living.”
- What are the biggest benefits of having your business located in the downtown Burlington core?
“Being close to amenities and being able to walk to work. Nancy and I can both walk to work, and Monica, our office Manager, is just up in Waterdown, so we’re all close by.”
- What other downtown businesses do you frequent and do business with?
Glenn: “We’ve had quite a few turbos from Tamp, and a few coffees from Starbucks. We enjoy the restaurants downtown as well.”
Nancy: “I love Son of a Peach – their pizzas are amazing! Fairhome is also a fun store to wander around in, there’s some beautiful stuff in there.”
- What special events do you have coming up in 2016 that you would like the BDBA to promote and/or publish on our website and social media outlets? N/A
- Tell us about your staff and/or a loyal employee and/or a special customer who has made a difference to you and your business. N/A
- If you had a piece of advice for our new businesses, to help them succeed, what would it be?
“Support each other downtown. And get out and network.”
- What is your favourite band?
Glenn: “U2, oh and the Cult is at Sound of Music this year, that’s going to be great.”
Nancy: “I’ve started liking new-country lately, my kids look at me like I’m crazy, but it’s really good … I also really like the Eagles … and Maroon Five!”
Monica: “I usually end up listening to whatever my kids are listening to. I really like Hedley.”