In the spirit of Valentine’s Day this month, we want to celebrate and recognize couples who work together in business everyday.
Meet Valerie and Bruce from Forever Summer Swimwear & Beachwear
- How did you both meet?
- Why did you start working/open your business together?
We’ve always supported each others businesses.
3. Tell us a little bit about yourselves and your business. (i.e. What is your unique offering?)
When Buce retired I decided to start a business of my own. One area in ladieswear I felt wasn’t really served well was swimwear for women. Most of the stores catered to young women. I felt most swimwear really catered to one body type and that wasn’t 90% of the population.
- When did you open your business and what made you choose Downtown Burlington?
I opened my store in May 2012. I decided on Burlington because I loved the feel in Burlington. It’s called a city but it really feels like a small town.
- What other downtown businesses do you frequent and do business with?
When there are events like Sound of Music everyone is outside looking after our customers and talking with our nieghbours. We’ve visited a number of restaurants Di Marios, Queen’s Head just to name a few! Sadly those events and dining out have been on hold this year. Can’t wait to get back to them.
6. If you had a piece of advice for other couples starting a business together, to help them succeed, what would it be?
If I’ve learned anything this year it’s to have some independent interests! 24/7 isn’t the best for couples. Bruce and I are celebrating our 37th anniversary February 12. These lockdowns can be hard.
7. Do you have any Valentine’s Day traditions?
We always try to get away for a few days somewhere warm (the main reason we got married in February). Hope we can get back to that tradition again.