Get to know the people behind your favourite places & spaces in downtown Burlington! We’ll be introducing you to a new owner & business throughout the year!
This week, meet Kay Casey, the owner of Kay at Home
- Why did you start/open your business?
After running a landscaping design business, I switched gears during the winter of 2016 trying my hand at woodworking and that was it … I was hooked!
- Tell us a little bit about yourself and your business. (i.e. What is your unique offering?)
First and foremost, I’m a Mother to an awesome 14 year old daughter! Secondly, as an Artisan and as the Founder/Owner of Kay At Home, I specialize in creating unique pieces utilizing wood, lighting, resin and more, all hand-crafted together to create that “one-of-a-kind” find. One of my top goals when I knew I was going to open a store was (is) to be very “Pro-Artisan” and I’m proud to say Kay At Home is not only my home, but it also provides a home to several other local-area Artisans in which he/she can feature their wares in an incredible retail space.
- When did you open your business in Downtown Burlington?
I opened my business in Downtown Burlington on May 3rd, 2019.
- What made you choose Downtown Burlington?
I love Downtown Burlington! I have been a frequent event-goer over the years in Downtown Burlington and always thought to myself “if I ever open my own business, this is the place to be!”. It has a great vibe, a great energy and I’m thrilled to be a part of the Downtown Burlington community.
- What are the biggest benefits of having your business located in the downtown Burlington core?
I think the biggest benefits of having my business located in the Downtown Burlington core would have to be the exposure this location offers. Downtown Burlington is event-rich, offering all sorts of festivals, things to do and see. That draw most certainly impacts a local business.
- What other downtown businesses do you frequent and do business with?
As noted previously, I’ve been a frequent event-goer and festival-goer in Downtown Burlington over many years; shopping and dining inclusive!
- What special events do you have coming up in 2019 that you would like the BDBA to promote and/or publish on our website and social media outlets?
I will be providing a space and hosts for the DIY’ers. I’m currently working out the scheduling and upon completion, I would love for BDBA to help promote DIY workshops!
- If you had a piece of advice for our new businesses, to help them succeed, what would it be?
My piece of advice for new businesses to help them succeed would be two-fold: network and collaborate. Support your local businesses, including those right beside you.
- What is your favourite holiday? Why?
I love, love, love Easter! It’s the first sign of Spring, it’s the first sign of new life and it’s a mighty-fine reason to eat chocolate.
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Chocolate … hands-down!
Follow them on social!