Get to know the people behind your favourite places & spaces in downtown Burlington! We’ll be introducing you to a new owner & business throughout the year!
This week, meet Valerie Dow, the owner of Forever Summer Swimsuits & Beachwear
- Why did you start/open your business?
I felt there was a lack of swimwear stores catering to “real” women with real bodies.
- Tell us a little bit about yourself and your business. (i.e. What is your unique offering?)
I’ve been in retail for 40 years, the last 7 in my own business. Having worked in several retail chains, I feel my unique offering is searching out quality pieces and giving attention to what customers want (something hard to do when you have stores all across the country. We also make shopping for a swimsuit a relaxing experience.
- When did you open your business in Downtown Burlington?
May 11, 2012
- What made you choose Downtown Burlington?
I liked the feel of downtown Burlington. There is a real sense of community.
- What are the biggest benefits of having your business located in the downtown Burlington core?
The biggest payback is being where the action is! Sound of Music and other events bring a lot of foot traffic into the downtown.
- What other downtown businesses do you frequent and do business with?
I bank on Brant St. We also frequent several restaurants including Wendel Clark’s, Paradiso, The Queen’s Head and on special occasions we head over to Di Mario’s!
- What special events do you have coming up in 2019 that you would like the BDBA to promote and/or publish on our website and social media outlets?
We just celebrated our our 7th anniversary sale! We will participate in Mingle/Jingle coming up in November.
- If you had a piece of advice for our new businesses, to help them succeed, what would it be?
Get acquainted with your neighbors. They are a great source of advice.
- What is your favourite holiday? Why?
Christmas and March Break when lots of people are going south!
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Follow them on social!